High performance Beringer aircraft brakes
So, what are the advantages of this wheel and brake system. In no particular order.
Lighter weight by 6.5lbs – Important to me as this will move the C of G rearwards a little = good for tumbles 🙂
Annual maintenance – negligible as bearings are sealed so no cleaning and regreasing
Rolling resistance – no or very little brake drag making moving the aircraft around the hangar much easier
Pad wear – Easy to assess pad wear by simple inspection of the wear depth grove, I understand that pads could last 250 hours
Brake power – pads are large and offer very effective braking
Hydraulic fluid – High temperature fluid used to keep effective braking after prolonged use
Down side – I’ve not tried changing the tubeless tyre yet.
To install on the aircraft again was simple, just follow the installation manual.
I fitted this kit during annual inspection. Basically it took 4 hours having in mind that the Cleveland wheels have to come of anyway for servicing.
After fitting the brakes pads need “conditioning”.
1. Taxi aircraft for 500m (1500 feet) with light brake effort.
2. Perform two (2) consecutive stops from 30 – 35 knots down to 5 knots. Apply light brake effort during these two stops; do not try to apply full brake effort.
3. Allow the brakes to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Perform two (2) consecutive stops from 30 – 35 knots down to 5 knots. Apply light brake effort during these two stops; do not try to apply full brake effort.
5. Apply brakes and check for restraint at high static throttle. If brakes hold, conditioning is complete.
6. If brakes cannot hold aircraft during static run-up, allow the brakes to cool completely and repeat steps 1 through 5.
As simple as that. It was noted that huge difference between braking action in step 2.
So, to date I’m very happy with the changes made to my Extra 330SC and would recommend the option offered by Extra as it’s just an additional €960 when purchasing a new aircraft. Extra Aircraft UK.
Beringer have many certified and experimental brake kits, here is the current catalogue.